Skip to content

General

6 results found

1. Better handling of allergens

Your current method of supporting allergens is to highlight them in the ingredient list. This works for some allergens, but not others.

For example, Gluten is contained in barley malt, a common ingredient in cereals (like rice krispies). There's no current way to highlight that this ingredient contains gluten. (Note: I consider this separate from may contain traces of gluten... its not a trace, its an actual listed ingredient, it just so happens to not be called 'gluten' in the ingredient list).

This site would be extremely helpful for those with allergies, if you were somehow able to 'check' down…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Better management photos

• Create a option that make possible remove a product image.
    • Create a option to upload back package photos.
    5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    The removal is clearly lacking, we need to do that.
    You can upload photos of the back of the package, and they can currently be displayed in the ingredients or nutrition facts section. It could be useful to be able to have more products photos (e.g. back or zoomed) though, thanks for the suggestion!
    Stéphane

3. Handle products with multiple origins for ingredients and places of transformation

The origin: I would add some button with an "extended info" label on it to show fields to enter the origin of the ingredients and the manufacturer and/or packer separately. Nowdays, we have many products with a spanish (in my case) brand and company, but with the main product(s) coming from China, Perú, Brasil... the results of the Globalization. So, many people that look for consuming more local products and reduce the ecological footprint would like to know ingredient's origin and manufacturer/packer origin. Also, in most Fair Trade products, you have a very detailled info about the origin of the…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting suggestion. One one hand I’m trying to keep the product form as simple as possible, so that products can be added as quickly and effortlessly as possible. And on the other hand, more information is better.
    Maybe we could try to offer an alternate representation of the list of ingredients, in a table as you suggest. The table view would be constructed from the plain text data, and contributors could add extra information like origin, whether the ingredient is organic, from fair trade etc. or not.
    It’s not as easy as it sounds though, as sometimes the ingredients list contain sub-ingredients etc. so the table might not always work.

4. keep data up-to-date

Hello,
    Do you have any procedure for verifying and updating the database?
    Imagine I want to use - and above all rely on - your data because I am highly allergic to egg (actually my son is :)). So far, I just can't fully trust the information provided, because the ingredients might evolve and I wouldn't be aware of it. So I still have to read the tiniest ingredients lists on the packagings. Ingredients sometimes even differ for some products, depending on the batch number ! This is quite frustrating...
    We could imagine some kinds of warning systems in case…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Julien,
    This is a tough problem that we are trying to address, but we haven’t found a very good way to make sure the data is up to date. In fact as you say, at a given time, there maybe multiple co-existing versions of a product. So I’m afraid that you will always have to double check the label.
    That being said, we can try to be better by asking users to update new photos when we notice that the ones we have are old (e.g. one year).
    We are also trying to track the evolution of products over time:
    http://en.wiki.openfoodfacts.org/Project:Product_versions_and_history
    If you want to discuss this further, please join us on Slack. I’ll send you an invite.
    Thanks,
    Stéphane

5. linked data

while the data grows it could be interesting to have the data available by SPARQL and on the cloud LOD.
    If you like the idea and would like to have some help on that i could contribute directly too.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Seed this forum with your ideas

UserVoice pro tip #1:
    Your customers are full of ideas, but people are more likely to contribute if they're not among the first. Add your own ideas now!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General