Skip to content

General

123 results found

1. Is it possible to select only products that are vegan? I would like a tick box for vegetarian or vegan or glutenfree or any other diets.

Make it easier for people with allegies or food preferences (vegan or so) to find products that are OK for them in a simple way

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. F-Droid

Is the App on F-Droid (https://f-droid.org)? If not, I think this would help to get more users to contribute to the database as this is an app market, following the same ideals as you.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Better handling of allergens

Your current method of supporting allergens is to highlight them in the ingredient list. This works for some allergens, but not others.

For example, Gluten is contained in barley malt, a common ingredient in cereals (like rice krispies). There's no current way to highlight that this ingredient contains gluten. (Note: I consider this separate from may contain traces of gluten... its not a trace, its an actual listed ingredient, it just so happens to not be called 'gluten' in the ingredient list).

This site would be extremely helpful for those with allergies, if you were somehow able to 'check' down…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please get a real designer

I don't know why great altruistic projects like this always need to look like 1995. Please get a designer (or ask designer for volunteering help) that combines aesthetics and functionality.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add Carbon Foot Print

I think there is currently not enough info on where food products are sourced and their carbon foot print

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. getting started guide

i can't find a guide what i should do to contribute.

i installed the app, registered an account, log in, scan a product and uploaded pictures. there is no information how to chose the categorie and what categories are used. there should be autocomplete in these fields and the ingredients should get OCRd from the pictures.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add a price field in local currency

Add a price field in local currency which autoconverts when looking at the page with different locale preferences.
    This way we can also lower the prices by spying on the different stores and compare them online.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Free note or observations regarding each specific packaging information

Packaging is the main source of pollution around the world.

Understanding their codes, identifying their fabrication processes can increase efficiently the way we can improve their impact not according to the producers who consider which information they can provide, and the ones they can hide. they look for maintaining their production high versus low, but from consumers point of view knowing is the main objective.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Better management photos

• Create a option that make possible remove a product image.
    • Create a option to upload back package photos.
    5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    The removal is clearly lacking, we need to do that.
    You can upload photos of the back of the package, and they can currently be displayed in the ingredients or nutrition facts section. It could be useful to be able to have more products photos (e.g. back or zoomed) though, thanks for the suggestion!
    Stéphane

11. Suppression de la farine de feve

De plus en plus la farine de fève est utilisé pour donner un aspect plus blanc au pain de mie, et a présent je m'aperçois qu'elle est aussi utilisée dans beaucoup d'autres préparations, pense t on aux personnes atteintes de déficit en g6pd, aussi appelé favisme et pour qui la farine de fève est strictement interdite. Que faire?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Suppression de la farine de feve

De plus en plus la farine de fève est utilisé pour donner un aspect plus blanc au pain de mie, et a présent je m'aperçois qu'elle est aussi utilisée dans beaucoup d'autres préparations, pense t on aux personnes atteintes de déficit en g6pd, aussi appelé favisme et pour qui la farine de fève est strictement interdite. Que faire?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Get list of all ingredients

I want to get the list of all ingredients, used in the current database,let's say all ingredients of the latest frozen product list of 2 weeks ago. Is this possible or not. If not what option else I have?
    Thanks,
    Ahmet

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Which categories should be used and how is the categories hierarchy created? (question)

The categories. At first, I added the products in a very restrictive kind of categories. But after adding several dozens of products, I realize that it doesn't make sense have a lot of categories with 1, 2 or 3 products in them (for now), so I am grouping the products in a few general categories (I am still grouping them). I think that the best is follow the "wikipedia way": Having general categories and when exist enough products (15-20??) that can be grouped together, create a subcategory for them. I saw in the french version this hierarchical struture category-subcategory. How…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Set up a regular forum for discussing issues, rules etc.

Have you thought about the possibility to set up a regular forum, so people can interact more directly about different issues? Also, it can be useful to discuss some rules that we can follow. For example, I am thinking to come up with some naming convention for standarize the name of the products. For example the same product can appear as cous-cous, cus-cus, cuscús, ..., tahine, tahin, tajín, ... The searching engine won't return you the correct items if every product is named with a different spelling. (suggestion from Javichu)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Handle products with multiple origins for ingredients and places of transformation

The origin: I would add some button with an "extended info" label on it to show fields to enter the origin of the ingredients and the manufacturer and/or packer separately. Nowdays, we have many products with a spanish (in my case) brand and company, but with the main product(s) coming from China, Perú, Brasil... the results of the Globalization. So, many people that look for consuming more local products and reduce the ecological footprint would like to know ingredient's origin and manufacturer/packer origin. Also, in most Fair Trade products, you have a very detailled info about the origin of the…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting suggestion. One one hand I’m trying to keep the product form as simple as possible, so that products can be added as quickly and effortlessly as possible. And on the other hand, more information is better.
    Maybe we could try to offer an alternate representation of the list of ingredients, in a table as you suggest. The table view would be constructed from the plain text data, and contributors could add extra information like origin, whether the ingredient is organic, from fair trade etc. or not.
    It’s not as easy as it sounds though, as sometimes the ingredients list contain sub-ingredients etc. so the table might not always work.

17. Calculating statistics: do I buy healthy food?

Can we do such a system:

I register on the Carrefour website giving my credit card number. When shopping at Carrefour I pay using that credit card. By logging into Carrefour's account, I can check the list of purchased products for each of my purchases.

After log in to the Open Food Facts web page it downloads purchase history from my Carrefour account then it calculates total mass of saturated fats and sugars I bought in the last 12 months. On this basis Open Food Facts shows information whether I buy healthy food or not. In addition, I would like…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. usda-ndb-import ingredients shouldn't be truncated at 255 characters

It looks like ingredients imported by usda-ndb-import are truncated to 255 characters. Some examples:
    https://us.openfoodfacts.org/product/0041498179915/ice-cream-bar-sundae-shoppe
    https://us.openfoodfacts.org/product/0021130480180/caribbean-jerk-marinade-signature-select

It would be really nice if the full ingredients list were imported.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Highlight Lists

Several suggestions on this forum are asking for some target highlighting functionality: To highlight allergens, identify non-Vegan foods, so on...

I would like to propose a generic solution to all of these: highlight lists. Users create/modify downloadable lists of ingredients to be highlighted. For example, a user could create a highlight list for "Gluten" which contains ingredients: "Wheat, Barley, Rye, Oats, ...". Then, another user can download the list and select to highlight all "Gluten" ingredients as green. Users individually select which highlight lists they want to show for their own screen only.

Users can then select to highlight whatever…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please can you do a pack with eight rashes, why seven, if I make bacon sandwich for the two I'm one short.

If I make a bacon sandwich for two, I put two rashes of bacon on each bread bun, we have two sandwiches each, but then I'm one short because you only do a pack of seven rashes, why ?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?