Skip to content

General

123 results found

1. CSV export doesn't work

I am interested in developing an application based on Open Food Facts database and I would like to import some data to a local database. The problem is that I tried to save a search in CSV and I found out that the CSV is not correctly generated. The output file is tab separated but some fields like ingredients contain other tabs instead of comas and therefore columns are not clearly separated.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add recycling information

That way we can put all the relevant information about the recycling of the containers: if it's PET, HDPE, steel, aluminum, etc.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. How to handle multipacks?

So, it so happens that I added a product which is a yogurt multi pack with 5 different types of yogurt. The pack strap has the only barcode, each yogurt cup doesn't have any.
    The problem arises when I want to specify the ingredients and the nutritional values, as there is 5 of each for each type of yoghurt.
    How should we tackle this?
    I guess I could calculate the average nutritional values and that would solve it, but what about the ingredients? They vary.

Here's the example. It's in Portuguese but you get the gist:
    http://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/5601312145493
    (securita)

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like a new data field "problematic"

A free "problematic" field where one could enter info about socially problematic behaviour of the producer (child exploitation, racist, environment pollution, etc.). Of course not without links to corresponding press reports as a proof. This is (at least for me) an important fact for a buy/no-buy-decision.
    I am pretty sure that this suggestion will trigger some discussion ...

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Free note or observations regarding each specific packaging information

Packaging is the main source of pollution around the world.

Understanding their codes, identifying their fabrication processes can increase efficiently the way we can improve their impact not according to the producers who consider which information they can provide, and the ones they can hide. they look for maintaining their production high versus low, but from consumers point of view knowing is the main objective.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. EMB ID #: an important inofrmation indeed identify factory localisation

should be registered as a third steps of indentification of the product.
    EMB define clearly the origins of the production factory.
    it can inform the consumers from where and which factory the product is coming from.
    connecting the data with the EMB data listing could pop out so consumer can understand immediately 2 product with distinctive brands (private label likewise retailers and famous brand are no more no less than similar, and use the same process of production and therefore can match similar qualities.

This superior value will motivate more contributors to visit OFF and contribute more, as they will…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. step by step registration saving

the report can be done in several steps.
    why? the process can be interrupted by a call, sms, email, or chat.
    it is better to save at least in 3 steps due to the amount of information required. it's better to save several steps than at once when you might loose or forget the process by procrastination.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. put in a "Back to Add Product" Button

put a "Back to Add Product" Button on the Brands and the Categories pages so it is easier to navigate back to the home page of each country

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add tutorial

In the app, but could be on the site too, we should have a tutorial at first launch (with tick box "don't display next time") that will say:
    login to off
    while on the move:
    1/ scan bar code
    2/ take at least 3 pictures:
    a. front picture of the product
    b. picture of nutrition facts
    c. picture of ingrediants
    enter prdouct name.

when back home you can login on the web off and go to the "product you added or contributed" page and confortably type all the information from your computer or another contributor may type it for you…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a price field in local currency

Add a price field in local currency which autoconverts when looking at the page with different locale preferences.
    This way we can also lower the prices by spying on the different stores and compare them online.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Better management photos

• Create a option that make possible remove a product image.
    • Create a option to upload back package photos.
    5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    The removal is clearly lacking, we need to do that.
    You can upload photos of the back of the package, and they can currently be displayed in the ingredients or nutrition facts section. It could be useful to be able to have more products photos (e.g. back or zoomed) though, thanks for the suggestion!
    Stéphane

12. adding the website of the product , so one could get more updated information

if there is any change in the product it will be mentioned in the website
    of the product , adding a link will be useful

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. linked data

while the data grows it could be interesting to have the data available by SPARQL and on the cloud LOD.
    If you like the idea and would like to have some help on that i could contribute directly too.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support for store/warehouse barcodes (UPC-A prefix 2)

There is a special kind of barcodes for variable-weight items. They use the prefix '2'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code#Prefixes.

It would be nice to support them, and would be useful mainly for the barcode scanner apps (Android, IPhone, ...)

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Itmar,
    We already do support barcodes starting with 2. It’s not very useful for the stores that use them to encode the weight, price etc. though, as they are different for every products.
    But some stores are using them for normal products too, when they are the only stores to sell the products.
    Is more support needed?
    Thanks,
    Stephane

15. Which categories should be used and how is the categories hierarchy created? (question)

The categories. At first, I added the products in a very restrictive kind of categories. But after adding several dozens of products, I realize that it doesn't make sense have a lot of categories with 1, 2 or 3 products in them (for now), so I am grouping the products in a few general categories (I am still grouping them). I think that the best is follow the "wikipedia way": Having general categories and when exist enough products (15-20??) that can be grouped together, create a subcategory for them. I saw in the french version this hierarchical struture category-subcategory. How…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Should the Spanish version be formal and use "usted" instead of "tu"? (question)

In spanish, we have like in french the "tú" and "usted" issue ("tu" and "vous"). Actually the translation is a mix of both ways. The problem is that in Spain is quite more normal the "tu" form, but in latin-american countries they prefer the "usted" (vous). The first can be consider too direct, even unpolite for them (I think like in french). So, do you wish that the site be more polite, serious and formal or in the opposite way more informal and direct? (question from Javichu)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. How to handle products available in only some countries, and products available in multiple languages? (question)

2 related questions from Javichu:

• Products that are not available in all countries where a specific language is spoken.

Do you think that make sense have not only different versions for languages but also for countries?. There are 20+ countries that speak spanish. And every one have its own and different products. We rarely see in Spain products from Mexico, Argentina or elsewhere. Indeed, we see quite a lot more products from the European Union than from other spanish speaking countries. So, it doesn't make sense that a search returns you products that never ever you are going to see…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Set up a regular forum for discussing issues, rules etc.

Have you thought about the possibility to set up a regular forum, so people can interact more directly about different issues? Also, it can be useful to discuss some rules that we can follow. For example, I am thinking to come up with some naming convention for standarize the name of the products. For example the same product can appear as cous-cous, cus-cus, cuscús, ..., tahine, tahin, tajín, ... The searching engine won't return you the correct items if every product is named with a different spelling. (suggestion from Javichu)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Extend the recognition of packers codes to more countries

The packer code: What we have right now only make sense for french products... I guess that exist some propousal at the European Union level to unify this, but right now, every country follows its own approach. For example, in Spain, you can know the real manufacturer (including the real site where the product is made if the manufacturer have several sites) looking the number "RGSEAA" (Registro General Sanitario de Empresas Alimentarias y Alimentos) (also known before as the RGSA number or something like that) in the product and then searching in the database accasible from: http://rgsa-web-aesan.msssi.es/rgsa/formulario_principal_js.jsp . This database…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Handle products with multiple origins for ingredients and places of transformation

The origin: I would add some button with an "extended info" label on it to show fields to enter the origin of the ingredients and the manufacturer and/or packer separately. Nowdays, we have many products with a spanish (in my case) brand and company, but with the main product(s) coming from China, Perú, Brasil... the results of the Globalization. So, many people that look for consuming more local products and reduce the ecological footprint would like to know ingredient's origin and manufacturer/packer origin. Also, in most Fair Trade products, you have a very detailled info about the origin of the…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a very interesting suggestion. One one hand I’m trying to keep the product form as simple as possible, so that products can be added as quickly and effortlessly as possible. And on the other hand, more information is better.
    Maybe we could try to offer an alternate representation of the list of ingredients, in a table as you suggest. The table view would be constructed from the plain text data, and contributors could add extra information like origin, whether the ingredient is organic, from fair trade etc. or not.
    It’s not as easy as it sounds though, as sometimes the ingredients list contain sub-ingredients etc. so the table might not always work.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base